Thursday, June 3, 2010

He Loves

Sometimes, when people tell you a big, in-depth story, I find it difficult to pick out which piece to concentrate on. I’m not saying the whole story isn’t important, because it is, but which part is most important? In other words, which part is gonna keep you up at night? Or which part is going to have you thinking for the rest of the day and zoning out during conversations?

The story of Jesus is a lot like this to me. It’s a big, in-depth story, with lots of details that have tremendous implications. And we hear the story many times. But what part of it leaves an imprint on your mind? Is it the miracles? Is it His wisdom? His birth? His death? Maybe after His death?

I was reading a Psalm earlier today (Psalm 104:10-24) and kind of zoned out because it wasn’t something I hadn’t heard a thousand times. Basically, it’s a Psalm about how mighty and powerful God must be. It talks about having water for animals to drink, and darkness for the night to come. It talks about trees and lions, and how God, in all His wisdom, created all of it in its place. And honestly, by the end of it, I said “Ok, cool. Good to know.”

Later in the day, I remembered a song I first heard back in March. It’s called “How He Loves Us,” and it’s about God doing what He does best….loving us. But here’s the kicker. When you juxtapose the two parts of the story (God being so mighty He created the world and everything in it + God really loves us), it kind of blew me away. Now, this isn’t a brand new idea or anything. In fact, I’ve been taught it many times in the past. But today, it hit me that despite God creating the mountains, and the rivers, and the grass for the cattle to eat, and the moon to shine when it’s night, and the sun to come up for a new day, and absolutely everything I see, touch, hear, and smell daily….He also really loves me. Just me. He loves me a lot. He’s not too busy for me. He doesn’t overlook my needs because there’s a flood somewhere He needs to control. He doesn’t say, “Not now Sam, I got a hurricane storming through the Caribbean.” He knows how many hairs are on my head. He counts every tear that drops from eyes. And not only does He take care of my needs, He gives me awesome gifts that I never asked for or deserved. Almost like it’s Christmas several times a year.

And that is the part of the story that’s going to keep me up tonight. Taking the concept of God as all-mighty and omnipresent and holding it in the palm of my hands knowing that all that power hasn’t gone to God’s head. He’s not too cool for school. He still cares about everything I feel, do, or say. How He loves us, oh.

1 comment:

deena said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NXWE6AC8ao