When I was a kid, Thanksgiving was about thinking of all the lovely things you had, and saying thank you for them. And as I’ve gotten older, not much has changed about the holiday. Everyone still sits around the table and says, with a smile, how thankful they are for family, friends, food and whatever else that starts with an “f” to complete the alliteration.
This year is a little different. This year, I’m trying my hardest to thank God, with my whole heart, for all the unlovely things. And yeah, I might not be at the point to give thanks with a smile on my face, but I will give thanks even with tears in my eyes.
Thank You dear God, for everything I’ve ever lost and everything that You’ve taken away. Thank You for every disappointment, every heart ache, and every bad day. Thank You for every obstacle, every interruption, and every time You’ve ruined my plans. Thank You for everyone who I felt may have hurt me or let me down. Thank You for every time I’ve felt lonely. And thank You for all the bad things that are yet to come. Because without all these things, I wouldn’t love You like I do today. I wouldn’t trust You like I do today. And I wouldn’t be desperate for Your will.
Recently, I heard a song on the radio that I didn’t like at all. The melody was too somber, the voices were too country. Definitely not a fan favorite. But I heard the following lyric: “God bless the broken road that led me straight to You.”
As much as we praise You and thank You for all the good things, I want to thank You today for all the things that have broken me. Because without them, I’d have no idea how much You truly love me.
Happy Thanksgiving.
No comments:
Post a Comment