Monday, February 13, 2012

God Likes Me

It happened again. I read another great post by Jon Acuff. And then decided to write my own post about it. Sue me. Actually, please don’t sue me. I’m not totally sure if this is intellectual property infringement.

Maybe about a week or so ago, Acuff posts this entry called “Does God want you to be miserable?” And because I know you aren’t clicking on any of my hyperlinks, I’ll just tell you what it’s about. It’s about this myth that says if we truly give our lives to God, He’ll make us do things we hate. Or He’ll make us full time missionaries in third world countries (side note: I hear that term isn’t PC anymore. They’re “developing nations”. Obviously, ordinals are just rude). And when I finished reading this article, I wanted to cry from relief.

You see, I’ve never been very talented in the Christian world. I can’t sing. I can’t play an instrument. I’m not a good child-care-provider. I don’t even know the history behind half the traditions we follow. So when people talked about “serving God with our talents,” I’d get worried. And ultimately, I figured God would tell me to become a nun and hug poor children in Africa. Especially since He knows I’m not a big hugger.

But Jon’s post told me otherwise. He reminded me that God made me exactly the way I am for a reason. He made me sarcastic, He made me goofy, He made me just a bit awkward. And He did it on purpose. God wants to use Selbouez for His glory. Not Selbouez-trying-to-fit-the-stereotypical-Christian-mold. That Selbouez isn’t half as valuable as the Selbouez He intentionally knit in my mother’s womb. And the quicker I can embrace that, the quicker God can use me for His Kingdom.

Sometimes I joke that I want to start a ministry called, “I love Jesus, so let’s all laugh together.” Because really, those are the two biggest things I want to share with people: Jesus and laughter. I pray that God shows me where a wacky little gal named Sam fits into His plan.  Hopefully, it involves more YouTube videos.  Not really.

2 comments:

M. Andrawis said...

You forget the talent that you're a fantastic writer :)

Mena Mirhom, MD said...

dude...you should write more. this is great stuff.