Friday, August 14, 2009

Dear Sam

I’ve always known that middle school was probably the worst time of my life. A time filled with awkwardness, ugliness, hairiness, and just plain old retardation. It hit me the other day just how stupid I was (still am?) back in those days. And then I thought, “If I could meet my 13 year old self today, what would I tell her?” I’ve documented that conversation for your reading enjoyment:

Sam, it’s ok that you’re not as “developed” as the other girls. Trust me, in 10 years, you’ll be the one who’s properly proportionate.
You know that kid you have a huge crush on? But he won’t seem to like you as more than a friend? In 10 years, he’ll have gotten two girls pregnant and be at a community college still trying to get into the NBA.
Remember that Algebra test that you bombed last week? You’re gonna end up majoring in Finance, bomb a lot more math tests, and then end up with a job where you don’t do any math at all.
You know your best friends? You’ll barely remember their names in 10 years, and will only know minor details of their lives via Facebook. What’s Facebook? It’s pretty much the devil online.
You know how you’re terrified to go to high school because you think everyone will hate you after that little IM episode? You’re gonna move to Virginia after 10th grade, and no one will even know you exist.
You know how you wish mom would let you buy more “back-to-school” outfits? In 10 years, you’re gonna hate shopping and realize that clothes don’t make you cool. But you’ll still have your obsession with sneakers. Never give up on the sneakers.
It’s ok that you’re a tomboy. The boys who beat you up now will be asking for your number later. Actually, I’m still waiting on that one to happen.
You’ll probably never stop using 4+4, but use a little less. That crunchy gel look is not cool.
Don’t worry about getting cut from the soccer team. Keep practicing your jump shot in the driveway. You’ll end up being better at basketball anyway.
Keep up the Spanish. You’ll really need it in about 7 years…when you’re abroad and realize you can’t even order ice cream without it.
Don’t worry about your step-dad. You won’t have to deal with him in about 3 years.
Go to church more. I know it’s far and I know you’re not really into it, but it’ll keep you out of trouble.
Stop thinking about boys. They’re a waste of time now, and will continue to be a waste of time for a while. Re-read the line above.

Other than that, just keep working hard, keep reading books, and keep making people laugh. The mistakes you’ve made, and will make, will make you stronger and wiser, so don’t beat yourself up about them. Drugs are bad no matter how many of your friends are doing them, alcohol is overrated and leads to bad decisions, and parties aren’t as fun as people make them out to be. Being cool isn’t about doing what other kids are doing. You’ll find that the real cool kids are the ones who aren’t afraid to be different. Hang out with those kids, even if they’re a little dorky. Because you’re gonna end up a little dorky too, anyway.

4 comments:

JazeR said...

big "fat" kuddos

Gina said...

You are so amazing and hilarious. I have the biggest crush on you.

Anonymous said...

Is there anyway i can create a "Life and Times of S.Elbouez" fan club and link it to this page? Forget it, i think i'm starting off with the t-shirts for now anyway...

P.S. I LOVED this one. I think i'm you're biggest fan...in a non-eminem creepy kinda way ;)

Anonymous said...

i loved this post. if I could define what a good adult mentor would be to a young kid, I'd mimic this blog post. I think it's so important to warn kids that our biggest issues/concerns today don't really matter in a few years from today. unfortunately, i wish i could remind myself of this daily...then i'd worry a lot less.