Friday, October 15, 2010

Traffic vs. Lions

I don’t know if you know this, Joe Rogan, but I moved to California about 33 days ago. But really, who’s counting? (obviously, I am) And for all those out there eagerly biting their fingernails in anticipation for my moving-update, I’ll tell ya: it’s tough. Whaaaaat?? But Selbouez, you moved to the land of sunshine and 75 degree weather! Yes, I did. Which apparently wasn’t a well-kept-enough-secret since about half the world’s population also lives here. California is one crowded mofo. And it ain’t hard to notice. Heck, take a drive on the highway. Which one, you say? Doesn’t matter. You’ll get the gist.

But aside from all the little details, the move has been tough because of something called “familiarity.” You know that sense of knowing what to do? Or knowing who to talk to, or the best places to get lunch? I don’t have that. And I’m pretty sure anyone who moves anywhere new doesn’t have it either. And, my dear friends, lack of familiarity is a tough pill to swallow. Especially if you’re an avid location-changer as myself.

But you wanna know my secret? Jesus. There, I said it. I shared the Good News. Call me an Evangelist, I know. But in all seriousness, the Bible wasn’t lying when they said He didn’t waver. I still got my Jesus, and oh man do I need Him right now (P.S. don’t ever tell yourself there’s a day or time when you don’t need Him. And go read my blog about getting lost in Bolivia).

Yesterday, I read a funny tidbit (as in a passage of the Bible), about this whacky guy named Daniel. Basically, he had some haters. And the haters said, “Because we don’t like you, we’re gonna try and get you killed.” So they convinced the king to make a law that said: Anyone who worships someone other than me for the next 30 days gets fed to the lions. And those lions are hungry. So what did Daniel do? He went upstairs to his room, opened the window, and prayed to God (who, in case you missed the point of this, is not the king of Daniel’s land). And I thought about that and said (out loud, to myself): Oh Daniel, you never forgot your go-to-Guy. Even with those crazy lions being all hungry.

And so, the moral of my story is: don’t forget your Jesus when the lions are outside. Pretty sure lions are worse than traffic, but I have no statistical evidence. Sorry.

No comments: