In High School Sunday School, we started a series on comparative religions. Basically, we give the kids a side-by-side rundown of what someone else believes, and what we believe. And for the most part, we focus on the big ticket items: Bible/Scripture, God, Life After Death, Salvation, etc. If anything, the series will help to at least remind (or teach) the principles of our own faith. And that’s where my thought for the day comes in.
For the sake of preventing arguments and possibly offending anyone, I won’t say what religion we talked about last Sunday. But I will say that I felt pretty sorry for them. And it made me appreciate my own religion a lot more. By the compassion, love, and beauty of my God, He allows me to have a personal relationship with Him. And I think we say that all the time: "personal relationship with God." But today, it actually meant something. It meant something when I learned that some people don’t even believe that a personal relationship with God is possible. For them, He’s just this Big, Almighty Power who gets mad from time to time. He’s there and He’s in control, but He doesn’t count the hairs on your head or remember every tear you’ve cried.
After learning what some people live every day without, I realized what I take for granted all the time. I have a God who doesn’t just exist, He suffered and died for me so that He could live within me. For my sake, not His. And it made me feel pretty special. Kind of like the Teacher’s Pet who got candy after class. You know, the kid the teacher let take more bathroom breaks than everyone else. I feel like that kid…only so much more.
No comments:
Post a Comment