Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Band-Aid's

One foot in and one foot out.
Humans love this idea.  They may not outwardly admit it.  But if you watch them closely, they do it all the time.

I’m not 100% innocent here, so don’t get sassy with me, blog reader.  I’m just saying, it’s no good.  One foot in and one foot out is a horrible way to live.  Your friends don’t like it, your boss doesn’t like it, and definitely, Jesus doesn’t like it.  But we do it anyway…because we’re scared…selfish…doubtful.  Whatever the reason, we don’t want to let go of things we know we should let go of (ugh, ending with a preposition).

Last Sunday, I heard a sermon that got me thinking about this whole idea of “letting go.”  The sermon was specifically about leaving somewhere, something, or someone…in order to get to where God wants you to be.  A place of blessing, reward…and honestly, just the place you’re meant to be.

I can almost guarantee that all of us have some kind of unhealthy relationship in our lives.  Sometimes it’s a boyfriend or girlfriend; but most of the time, it’s more simple than that.  It’s a friend, a co-worker, a neighbor, a classmate, a whatever.  Someone you hang out with or talk to to fill some kind of void.  But when we start using people to fill voids, our standards aren’t very high.  And consequently, we fall into the trap of unhealthy relationships. 

“Yeah, he’s always gossiping about other people and likes to get belligerently drunk…but he’s someone to hang out with on Mondays.”  Does that sound familiar?  Ok, maybe not all of it.  But I’ve made excuses for bad relationships in order to fill voids in my life.  Think about your Freshman year of college.  Think about the 800 random “friends” you had.  The gym-friend, the eating-friend, the study-friend, the borrow-their-notes-friend.  These aren’t friends.  These are people we don’t want to let go of because they meet some kind of need.  And in some cases (like Freshman year), it’s not all bad.

I’m talking about when it is bad.  When you know it’s unhealthy, poisonous, harmful, or damaging...but you can’t bring yourself to rip the band-aid off.  Ladies and Gentleman, today I’m telling you to rip that sucker off!  It’ll sting for a little bit.  But I promise, if God has been nudging you to leave something, He’ll take care of you when you’ve left.  

Be the kind of person who has two feet in one place.  It’s better for your posture.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those silly freshman year friends... the "carve pumpkins and leave them in the hallway" friends, the "break into the dorm basement and take pictures" friends and the "video tape your friends dancing" friends... Who needs 'em? ;-)

S. Elbouez said...

hahaha except those were actually friends :)