Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A Year

A lot can happen in a year. I know that sounds cliché, but usually when people say this, they say it at the beginning. As in a future outlook, “hey man, a lot can happen in a year.” And whenever it’s said at the forefront, I usually die a little inside thinking, “a year is forever!” But when it’s said after the year is over, you think, “wow, it’s been a year already?!” It’s weird. Time. Time is weird. People are weird, too. But today’s post is mostly about time.

A year ago today, I moved to California. I had like 4 huge suitcases. And I remember that poor little Acura (that’s my car) was already making her trek across the country. That was a year ago. So I started thinking about what has happened since then, and I thought it might be fun to make a list. Well, to begin, I moved back to Virginia about two months later. But that’s another story for another time. And so my list begins:
I quit my job.
I went to Bolivia for the 3rd time.
I reapplied to my old job and was rehired.
I was promoted (go figure).
I went to California, Georgia, Colorado, Missouri/Kansas, and Florida.
I was admitted into the emergency room for the first time (nothing was wrong with me)
I got new bangs! (I also learned how to cut my own bangs…through trial and error)
I started tweeting.
I got a niece (hey Noelle!)
I got prescription sunglasses (this is a big deal considering I've never worn sunglasses before...or at least not ones that cost more than $5)
I turned 25.
I started and finished a certificate program for web development and design.
I (almost) finished the Bible, cover to cover (check back on September 18 for the update)
I started serving the High School youth…twice…at 2 different churches.
I experienced my first earthquake.
I built my first website from scratch.
I started physical therapy for my back.
I wrote 64 blog posts (including this one).

So yeah, a lot can happen in a year. But honestly, I’m not even sure of the biggest things that have happened. That’s one of the coolest things about God. He’s always working behind the scenes. And I’m always waiting on pins and needles to see what He’s been up to. But even if He never lets me peek behind the curtain, I can see His work in me. And that’s probably the coolest part. That Selbouez on 9/13/10 is significantly different from Selbouez on 9/13/11. I can’t pinpoint how, I can’t say I’m a whole new person…I just know I’m different. Things I never thought about, I think about. Things I never felt, I feel. Things I never worried about, I worry about. And I guess that’s just life; nothing revolutionary.

Let’s see what happens in another year. Oh yeah, Happy Coptic New Year!

No comments: