Hi, my name is Sam. And I’m addicted to the internet. Ok, step 1: check.
When people complained about the craze of social media or teenagers averaging 1000 texts a day, I used to join in. “I can’t believe it! Those people have issues.” And then I became those people with issues. And I don’t know how to fix it.
Maybe it’s because I work at a web marketing company. Maybe it’s because I spend all day in front of a computer. Maybe it’s because I have an iPhone. Maybe I’m just a worthless person. The point is: I am constantly on the world of webs.
Trust me. I don’t want to be this way. I don’t want to spend hours cataloging furniture for a house I don’t own on Pinterest. I don’t want to tweet how angry I am at traffic. I don’t want to leave witty comments on all my friends’ status updates on Facebook. I don’t want to see how I can turn the simplest objects into retro art on Instagram. But I do. And I can’t stop. And yes, I see the irony of how I’m posting this on a blog.
Sadly, I keep hearing how distractions are ruining our spiritual lives. How we can’t sit still or be quiet long enough to hear the voice of God. And it’s true…I’ll be the first to admit it. Even if I’m bored, tired, or stressed, I turn to YouTube, Hulu, or Netflix so I don’t have to really think about anything.
And so my question is: how do I fix it? Do I just go cold turkey? How do I deal with the withdrawal? Do I have to quit? Is it ok if I still love Jesus?
To: God
From: Selbouez
Re: Help me.
No comments:
Post a Comment