For the past year, I've been spending more time with High School girls than most 25 year old's do. That's what happens when you're a youth leader (or as we refer to it in the Coptic community, a high school servant). This particular tragedy began a few months ago. In an effort to reach out to a certain group of girls, I wikipedia-ed the boy band that they were obsessed with. Literally, obsessed. I'm talking imaginary-boyfriend-own-all-the-music-and-the-merchandise-talk-about-them-like-they-know-them obsessed. And I'm not gonna lie. This boy band was filled with some cuties. To top it off, they're British. And if I've never told you…I love British bands. So as this band made their debut on Saturday Night Live a few weeks ago, I decided to give the kids a listen. And consequently, I got hooked on a few of their more popular songs.
I started asking myself, "what the heck is going on?!" I don't even like boy bands. Seriously, when Nsync came out in my adolescent years, I wasn't even a fan. So why, at 25, would I be stuck on these little fellas?
Cue the serious life lesson. Simon Cowell knew what he was doing when he put this group together. It truly is a manufactured process. And I realized that the catalyst of this thing is the deep, unmet desire of every girl to be loved. And sadly, this band (maybe not maliciously) is manipulating that desire for sales and fame. From their lyrics, to their onstage presence, to their ambiguous tweets of "thinking of you ;)"…they have become young-adult masters of heartstring-tugging.
I know this post may seem overly dramatic. Annnd you're probably laughing at me right now. Which is ok; I completely admit me blogging about a boy band is ridiculous. But what's scary, is that this need to be loved is so deep and so real, yet very rarely met in a healthy or sustainable way.
Take it from a pro: boys telling you you're pretty does not equal fulfilling your need to be loved. Honestly, Jesus Christ is the only one who can 100% satisfy that need. And He puts people in our lives to help meet that need as well. But if Christ isn't there, then the love is superficial. It's short-lived. It comes from a British boy band.
If you're in a situation where you're trying to be loved from something or someone that isn't founded in Christ…it may not end well. Like the Samaritan woman, you're drinking from a well that will eventually run dry. And although I'll still think Zayn Malik is the cutest 20-year-old with a microphone, I shouldn't need him singing that I'm beautiful to feel self-worth. Because really, that was Christ's #1 Hit over 2000 years ago.
1 comment:
One direction is garbage. They're all over the magazines here and their morals are nil. Its sad that media and entertainment has no class or taste. This goes back to how basic todays children and society are. No values = no class. Imagine the trash our grandkids will be watching. Understandable it gets worse with every generation but personally I think were almost at the bottom. Again this does not apply to all kids just the ones with no values.
Post a Comment