Anyway, something changed this year. I got pretty into all of it. I still avoided most heated debates, and tried not to actively piss people off or rebut status updates that were simply statements of misinformation. But it was something I definitely started to care about.
Fast forward to last Friday: I went to vote early after work. As I approached the voting area, it took me a while to find the end of the line. That's how many people where there…on a Friday evening. So I'm standing in line, and I take a look around me. In front of me was an Indian family (mom, dad, the whole shebang); behind me was a middle aged Hispanic woman, behind her was a middle-aged white married couple. Behind them were two young teenage-looking girls. And of course, there was me: a mid-20's, first generation American woman. It was quite the mix. And I started to tear up a bit.
I can't really explain why I got so emotional. I think it was because I realized, in that moment, what a great thing I was being a part of. All these people, from really different backgrounds and life experiences, were all doing the same thing. We were all making our voices heard. We were all taking part in a tradition that sets us apart from our non-American counterparts. And I felt really special; even privileged. We were there with authority, and you could see it on our faces.
I wanted to write this post before yesterday ended; before the election results were announced. Because I just wanted to talk about how voting meant so much to me. But then of course, yesterday happened and I saw the very ugly side of all of this. And for a minute, it almost erased Friday's feelings of privilege and recognition. I have a brain, and I have a voice. They're both God-given, they're both beautifully made, and they were both intended to be used. If not, God would have labored in vain. As an American, I am incredibly grateful that our country doesn't deny me that truth. And as a Christian, I take advantage of God's workmanship.
No comments:
Post a Comment