Monday, March 14, 2011

I Miss the 90's

Today I’ve been having this overwhelming urge to be 20 something during the mid 90’s.  I know that’s really specific, and very random.  But sometimes these things just come to me.  And I have a feeling it all started this morning as my very outdated iPod played No Doubt’s Tragic Kingdom (one of my favorite albums, by the way).

So I guess if I drilled down to it, I think I just want to be Gwen Stefani after Tragic Kingdom was released.  Let’s say 1995, post-Tony-Kanal but pre-Gavin-Rossdale.  When platinum blonde was in, and so was maroon lipstick.  And where showing your midriff was cool, and not trashy.  Maybe, I just want to be in a rock band.  Specifically the lead vocalist where I’m the only female.  And I get to write my own lyrics about fellow band-members breaking up with me (in your face, Tony).  Where hairstyles were edgy yet simple; and not weird for the sake of being weird.  And grunge music was your friendly nemesis.

Although I was definitely very much alive during the mid 90’s, I was also only about 10 years old.  My mid 90’s consisted of stirrup leggings and name brand windbreakers.  But I have to say, even at 10, my taste in music rocked.  You know what I was listening to in the 4th grade?  The Fugees (specifically The Score…another favorite album).  Seriously, what other 10 year old can sing “Killing Me Softly” without missing a beat?  Let me rephrase: what other Egyptian-American 10 year old can sing “Killing Me Softly” without missing a beat?  But I kinda wish I was a little bit more “aware” during that era.  Probably in the way that my sisters remember the mid 90’s.  Alanis Morissette, Boyz II Men, Green Day in their prime (in my opinion).  That was a great time in music…for pretty much all genres. 

I know this blog post is pointless.  But it’s just my thought for the day.  Maybe I’ll just move to Portland, Oregon; where it’s apparently always the 90’s (Portlandia joke…I just saw a clip…I’m not really a dedicated fan).  Or I can just start using the word, “Psych!” again.  I know you miss it.  Yeah you do.       

No comments: