Day 3 at the new job and my world has been turned upside down. Let's discuss.
Firstly, I get to wear jeans and chucks. It's fantastic. Today, I'm wearing a t-shirt, cardigan, skinny jeans, and brown chucks. It's basically what I always wear...but now I get to wear it to work!
Secondly, I'm using a Mac. Now, I've had a Mac for the past 3 years or so. But using one for work is way different. It's like learning to write with my left hand (which is difficult since I'm a righty...in case you didn't catch that analogy).
Thirdly, the pace is so much faster! It may just be a case of the "new-job-learning-curve", but it's tough trying to keep up. It's like constantly juggling 3 or 4 thought-streams at once.
Fourthly, we use AIM to talk to each other (a lot of my team members work remotely). I haven't used AIM since sometime in college. Well, I guess before Gchat came out. Whatevs, it's still funny to me.
Fifthly, I have my own desk, a big leather chair that is almost taller than I am, and my room is painted green. Like really green. Like Halloween green. It's awesome.
Sixthly, my teammates smoke and curse like sailors. It's pretty different from corporate america.
Seventhly, the kitchen has free drinks, snacks, plates, mugs, etc. And the fridge is stocked with 4 or 5 kinds of beer. I think my mind was blown at that point. I was told to try and not drink the beer until the late afternoon. It's gonna be tough, but I'll manage.
Eighthly (I don't think I've written the word "eighthly" before; that "th" combo is tricky), my teammates play music out loud. As in, we listen collectively (not through headphones). We take turns with the requests. When Weezer starts playing, it's the Sam part of the day. We have a mutual agreement that country is not allowed. This makes me happy.
Secondly, I'm using a Mac. Now, I've had a Mac for the past 3 years or so. But using one for work is way different. It's like learning to write with my left hand (which is difficult since I'm a righty...in case you didn't catch that analogy).
Thirdly, the pace is so much faster! It may just be a case of the "new-job-learning-curve", but it's tough trying to keep up. It's like constantly juggling 3 or 4 thought-streams at once.
Fourthly, we use AIM to talk to each other (a lot of my team members work remotely). I haven't used AIM since sometime in college. Well, I guess before Gchat came out. Whatevs, it's still funny to me.
Fifthly, I have my own desk, a big leather chair that is almost taller than I am, and my room is painted green. Like really green. Like Halloween green. It's awesome.
Sixthly, my teammates smoke and curse like sailors. It's pretty different from corporate america.
Seventhly, the kitchen has free drinks, snacks, plates, mugs, etc. And the fridge is stocked with 4 or 5 kinds of beer. I think my mind was blown at that point. I was told to try and not drink the beer until the late afternoon. It's gonna be tough, but I'll manage.
Eighthly (I don't think I've written the word "eighthly" before; that "th" combo is tricky), my teammates play music out loud. As in, we listen collectively (not through headphones). We take turns with the requests. When Weezer starts playing, it's the Sam part of the day. We have a mutual agreement that country is not allowed. This makes me happy.
So yeah, things are interesting. I'm doing work with a tangible payoff. I'm fixing things while thinking of better ways to do things, at the same time. I'm excited. But I think the biggest part of all of this is staying positive. The last time I made a life change, I forgot that part (or hadn't learned it yet), and it destroyed the experience.
Here's to optimism and free soda!
1 comment:
this awesome. [or, "this is awesome."]
Post a Comment