Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My Favorite Era

For some reason, I’ve always had a soft spot for the 50’s and 60’s.  I’m fascinated by that era.  Maybe it’s the style, the wholesomeness, the fashion, the sound, heck, even the politics.  I don’t know.  I just know I love it.

This past weekend, Amy Winehouse died.  I guess it wasn’t that much of a shock considering her habits, but it was still sad.  It was especially sad for me because I love her music.  Amy knew what the 50’s and 60’s sounded like (p.s. I say “50’s and 60’s” because there are specific characteristics that I can’t pin-point to just one decade.  This is all-encompassing) and she mastered that sound.  When I listen to her music, I want to go to a school dance from a scene in Back to the Future (you know, the one where Marty runs into his mom).  I also get that feeling when I listen to Under Control by The Strokes

This past weekend, I saw the X-Men prequel and a Netflix-delivered movie called Flipped.  Both take place in that era.  Both made me jealous.  I also happen to work in our nation’s capital (that’s Washington, DC in case you’re not American...or just silly).  A lot of the architecture around here is straight outta the 50’s and 60’s (i.e. the Kennedy Center, the old terminal of the Reagan Airport, etc).  And a lot of the government buildings that were built around the 1920’s still have 50’s/60’s interiors.  It’s kind of funny.  It’s like they renovated, but yet they’re still outdated.  Actually, now that I think about it, that should be the motto of the government – Renovated Yet Still Outdated (ha!).

Anywho, this is a pointless blog.  I just wanted to express my fondness for such a great time period.  Everything from poodle skirts to skinny ties.  From ponytails to beehives.  [Sigh] Good thing my Pleasantville DVD is coming tomorrow!

1 comment:

Paul Farag said...

I love that Era even more after watching Mad Men!