Wednesday, July 20, 2011

There, I Said It

Last weekend, I saw a movie…in a movie theater.  It was nice.  Although, watching my Netflix alone on my laptop never disappoints either.  So in this movie, they introduce the main characters and their dilemmas within about the first 5-10 minutes.  I love when movies do this because I appreciate the logistics of setting the scene.  I get the back stories, I understand the situation…ok, you may now proceed, movie.  But today’s entry isn’t about movies.  Or logistics.  It’s about one of the main characters and how he introduced himself.  He said, “All I’ve ever wanted to be was a husband.”  And I thought that was pretty awesome. 

Someone asked me the other day what I have a passion for.  They asked what it was that I really wanted to be or do.  It wasn’t the first time I’ve heard this question (or asked it to myself).  But I could never come up with a good answer.  And I think the reason behind that is because there’s only one thing I’ve ever really wanted to be since I was about 16.  But saying it out loud just made me feel dumb.  Because all I’ve ever wanted to be is a wife.

I feel like people don’t respect that answer.  Maybe because it’s not super ambitious.  Maybe it’s stereotypical.  Maybe it makes me sound desperate or marriage-crazed.  But the honest truth is that I just want to be a wife…a great one at that.  You could change my job 800 times, give me money or take it away.  But at the end of the day, that’s not what I’m passionate about.  I’m passionate about having a fantastic marriage. 

I’m not saying that being a wife is my ultimate goal in life.  Being a wife isn’t going to make things easier, or paint the sky blue and make the birds chirp.  I get that.  But it would be something that I enjoy being; and hopefully, something I’d be good at.  And I think at the end of it all, being a wife would make me the kind of person God needs me to be.

Being a web designer would be pretty cool, too :)  

No comments: