I’ve never really liked the idea of promises. As a kid I was ok with them. Probably because they didn’t mean much. People promise kids lots of stuff. And half the time, they’re not really even all that sincere about it. Mostly because you’re a kid and it doesn’t matter. But as I got older, promises started to mean more. So when people didn’t keep their promises, naturally, it was more disappointing. Thus, I decided I wasn’t a fan of promises; making them or receiving them. They just put too much pressure on things.
Lately, the topic of promises has come up a lot. Not necessarily promises from people, but promises from God. Promises from God are big time, because God is not a man that He should lie. So when God makes you a promise, you can bet He’ll come through. “When?” is a different matter altogether. But I’m not even talking about the “when” today. I’m getting to a point in my life where I really want God to make me a promise. Not the general kind that He makes for everyone (salvation, etc.); but the very specific kind. The kind He made to Zacharias and St. Mary. And I almost want it to be completely ridiculous. I feel like the more ridiculous the promise, the bigger the test of faith. Not that I have a lot of faith, but I figure it would make life more interesting.
My logic is this: it’s not that I’m dying for God to give me something. I have enough already. I’m just dying to know that God has something to give me. Does that make sense? Maybe it’s some kind of need to feel special, or unforgotten. Maybe it’s selfishness. I’m not really sure. But it would be cool to go through life’s up’s and down’s and not be fazed because I’d always be depending on my promise. “God promised me that I’m going to be an astronaut, and I know it’s gonna happen!” Something like that. Maybe not astronaut. Regardless, having a promise means the only one who can get in the way is you. No obstacle, illness, closed or open door would matter. Just your faith (that was a nudge to the Israelites…and Moses).
Dear God, if You’d like, please make me a promise. A big one. Thanks.
No comments:
Post a Comment