Monday, May 12, 2008

Rummaging

While cleaning out my closet, I stumbled upon a shoebox with some cards, pictures, and ticket stubs that the pack-rat in me refused to throw away. One of these items was a card that was given to me when I was 16. The occasion: I was moving from Florida to Virginia. The writer: I shall keep anonymous as to not hinder their genius.

The front of the card reads: "It saddens me to say good-bye to an intelligent, charming, responsible person like you."

The inside: "I mean, there's so few of us left! Anyway, good-bye and good luck."

The message: "Sammy girl! I was dying of laughter when I read this card. It's hard to say good-bye to such a nice person. I always thought you were a unique young lady (warning: the conscious aspiration for uniqueness is usually the quickest road to monotony of character). I especially remember that you had a fondness of reading. I would encourage you to sustain this liking, for it is one of the best ways to escape the mind-control of modern society (esp. if you're reading the Bible). College is coming up ~ they will try to turn you into an athiest, a feminist, and a vegetarian. You must resist the world (see Bible verse below). Always remember: Church above school, the Scriptures above Toni Morrison, and family over career. If you need any more of my philosopho-spiritual advice, just call. Never watch Oprah. May God be with you and your family always.
Phil 4:13"

No comments: