Monday, January 3, 2011

The Scary First Step (Dec. 31)

This December, at a White Elephant gift exchange, I happened to steal the awesome gift of a few books. One of the books in the bag was the called “Do Hard Things” by the younger, teenage, twin brothers of Joshua Harris (the guy who wrote “I Kissed Dating Goodbye.” You may be familiar with that book if you ever went to Middle School…or you’re Coptic).


As soon as I began reading the book, I knew I was in for something. At least some good blog posts (you’re welcome, readers). And yeah, the book is geared toward teens, but I figured since I look 16, the message would be well received regardless. The teen twins list five hard things that they recommend people should do:

1. Things outside your comfort zone

2. Things that go beyond what is expected or required

3. Things that are too big to accomplish alone

4. Things that don’t earn an immediate payoff

5. Things that challenge the cultural norm


In chapter 5, they start talking about Hard Thing #1, and how critical it is to take that first scary step outside your comfort zone. They start the chapter about a kid named Tyler (a.k.a. S. Elbouez) who never failed at anything because he hadn’t really done anything. He’d pass up opportunity after opportunity because he figured it would turn out unsuccessfully. Hi Tyler, my name is Sam. I think we could be best friends. So what happened to Tyler? The twins say that, “Tyler spent his life avoiding such firsts” (as in the scary first steps of leaving his comfort zone). And now? “He’s basically the same person he’s always been.” And that sentence made me want to cry.


Fortunately, I’ve taken some scary first steps with the help of God. Things I was terrified to do I did because there was some kind of passion that drove me. Moving to Virginia when I was 16, going away for college, studying abroad, my first trip to Bolivia, moving to California, etc. I’m not trying to brag, but I can think of the time of each of those events and see with crystal clarity how I became a stronger, smarter, better, more faithful person.


When I was 15, I started to learn to drive; and I was terrified. I had seen too many videos of drivers getting into horrible accidents, so I was certain that I’d share the same fate. Ask my sister if you don’t believe me. One day, she wanted me to practice by driving us both to the beach (about a 20 minute drive). Half-way through, we were on the side of the road switching seats. She even commented at how disgusting the steering wheel felt because of the amount of sweat my hands had generated. And in case the fellas were wondering, I’m single ;)


Since that day, I’ve driven millions of miles. I’ve driven through floods, blizzards, storms, fatigue, blah blah blah. I actually enjoy driving. And I do it all the time. Imagine if I’d given up after that day on the way to the beach. I’d have a pretty neat bus pass, I guess. But I understand what the twins were talking about. Look at Moses. Look at Joshua. Look at every character in the Bible who had to take a scary first step to find the amazing reward that God had waiting on the other side.


So as I begin my journey to Bolivia today, I pray that this message weighs heavy on my heart. Take a scary first step to leave my comfort zone. Not like being robbed and involved in a high speed car chase…that was my first trip to Bolivia. But something else, that honestly, only God knows. But if I want to be a new creation, I have to do hard things.


Happy New Year. How appropriate.


“There’s a high cost for choosing comfort; without even realizing it, we build an invisible fence around ourselves. Nothing challenging is allowed to enter – even if it has the potential to set us free.”

No comments: